Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I am overwhelmed and humbled with my gratitude for this program, my sponsor and my Higher Power. That it really is "progress not perfection." That I am understood, my addiction is understood, and recovery is understood and passed on in a tangible everyday way. This week I had a series of events related to my weight loss surgery and being unable to eat. In my fear, I did not contact my sponsor right away. Her first reaction was one of "rules being broken" and I was in such a state of despair, physical and psychic pain, and confusion. My actions were based on fear; fear of not being understood, fear of making mistakes, fear from the well-learned message of the need to always take care of myself, fear of my sponsor's reactions.

My sponsor sought counsel about the issues involved and told me that "as a rule gal, she reacts from a place of fear, and it comes across as anger." She made amends to me for frightening me and worked out all the issues involved and we made a plan together for dealing with this when it happens. She sought accurate information about my anatomical changes and what needs to be done when this happens, without judgment of me. I felt so loved and cared for, so affirmed, and so relieved!

I have grace all around me and it is stunning! The 12-Steps as a program of recovery are profound and divinely inspired and having them modeled in a tangible way everyday is pure grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment