Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Mental Obsession

3. Read Step 1. Discuss the mental obsession that precedes that first compulsive bite. D & R upon the idea that obsessing about anything leads to compulsive eating.

This question hit me smack in the face and at first I didn’t get it. I never realized that that obsessing about anything leads to compulsive over-eating. So I re-read Step One and tried to find the answer. Of course, it is right there in the unmanageability section.

We didn’t realize how much we had damaged ourselves and others by trying to manage every detail of life. We must get daily treatment for it. The daily treatment must include turning our day over to our HP and giving up managing and obsessing about life. I do obsess about things sometimes; my home and the condition it is in, the décor, entertaining, shopping, clothes, money, my kids, what other people think. This is talking about any mental obsession. This is eye-opening for me.

I was saying I don’t obsess about food. Then I stopped to think about this. I was thinking this meant obsessing about a particular individual food which would lead to compulsively eating that food. I rarely do that.

BUT
I do obsess about food: buying food, the price of food, using coupons, where to get it, what to serve guests, how to make food taste great, preparing food, storing food, etc. I think about all of this a lot.

Looking at obsessing in this light is going to be a big process for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment