Monday, March 30, 2009

A Conversation

Nephew: "Auntie looks pretty-- and thinner."
Cousin: "She's in a 12 Step Program.
Nephew: "She sure must be running up and down the steps a LOT."


It sure is interesting to hear the array of comments people have when they here about my recovery program:
"If I had to do what you do, it would drive me crazy."
(Actually it is driving me sane.)
"That's nice." (You've heard of Minnesota Nice?")
"That's different." (More Minnesota-speak!)
"How do you ever have time for all that?" (Just contrast it with the time spent obsesssing about food & weight, or the time spent being ill later.)
"I'd never have the willpower to do that!" (Me either, that is why I need a power outside of myself and the support of my fellow OAs to do this.)
"Hurray for you, I support you 100%! (Thank you all who offer support and encouragement!)
"Well, it is obviously working! Congratulations!" (You can see the changes on the outside, you should see what is happening on the inside.)
"I would like to go to a meeting with you, does it cost anything" (I would love that, the meeting is open to anyone looking for a solution and is free .)


No comments:

Post a Comment