Saturday, March 28, 2009

What I Do


My plan of eating was designed for me by a registered dietician. I have 3 meals and 2 snacks daily. Each day I write out my exact plan for the day--what I am going to eat and the amounts. I call my sponsor everyday and read my daily plan to her. This is my committed food plan and I do not change it unless I call her and "make a food change." I weigh and measure my food so that I am consuming the exact amounts designated by my dietician. I consume no refined sugars or alcohol. The amazing miracle is that after a week of following my plan I had no cravings of any kind-ever. I know this might not happen for everyone, but it happened for me. I am never hungry and I rarely think about food unless it is a designated time to eat, and even then I am never ravenous. Some of you recognize this for the miracle that it is.

Since beginning OA HOW and following this plan of eating and using the tools listed in an earlier post, I have lost 40 pounds. I have 20 pounds to lose to reach my goal weight. I have gone from a size 16-18 to a size 10. I have done this before, but now I feel fully confident that I will maintain my goal weight for a lifetime.

We learned that we had to fully concede to our innermost selves that we are food addicts. This is the first step in recovery. The delusion that we are like other people or presently may be, has to be smashed.

We food addicts are men and women who have lost our ability to control our eating. We know that no real food addict ever regains control. All of us felt at times that we were regaining control, but such intervals--usually brief--were inevitable followed by still less control, which led in time to pitiful and incomprehensible demoralization. We are convinced to a man that food addicts of our type are in the grip of a progressive illness. Over any considerable perod we get worse, never better.


Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous p. 30 (adapted for food addiction)

To find out more about OA: www.oa.org

No comments:

Post a Comment