Monday, March 30, 2009

"For Tools To Work You Have To Use Them"

At every OA HOW meeting we hear this read about the tools. When I first began in September I did not see how I could fit all 7 tools into my life and get a routine that incorporated them. (see an earlier post for plan of eating-abstinence)

I especially didn't embrace the daily telephone hook-ups. I hated using the phone so much I didn't know my own cell phone number and never gave it out. I also hate "making conversation" and struggled with talking to people I didn't even know-- AND what would I talk about? I admit some of the calls seemed excruciating. Dead. Silence. But here is the key for me, I was willing to go to any lengths to solve my problem and successful OAs told me that this was a tool I needed to use and so I did it. Eventually, the calls got easier and I formed my own tribe within the bigger clan of OA.

Another tool that was struggle for me was sponsoring. My sponsor scared me and I felt anxious -- wasn't a great fit, and I appreciate that she got me started. The program tells us we can change sponsors at any time and for any reason--and so I changed sponsors. My current sponsor is my mentor, guide, teacher, and she tells me "I've got your back."

I learned from errors about the anonymity tool. I announced my sponsors name to people, talked about people's stories (nameless, but still not anonymous) and other embarrassing breaches. I am not perfect with anonymity but I am improved.

The tools of attending meetings and literature & writing were easy for me because I liked them and got so much from them. I went to 4 different meetings until I found the meeting that is just right for me. I highly recommend this.

The final tool is service. My sponsor asked me to do service everyday. She later had to suggest to me that I seemed flippant about this. I realized my flippancy is a learned way I handle discomfort. It felt conceited to be telling someone 'this is the good thing I did today." I am so glad my sponsor brings up these things. I grew so much from this. I do service as often as I can and have asked my Higher Power to show me ways to be of useful service to others in small, everyday ways and to provide me opportunities to be of service to my fellows in OA.
Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed
our path. BB p. 58


1 comment:

  1. Hey, I'm going to add you to my blogroll if that's ok?

    ReplyDelete