Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Fatnlazy, Fatnugly

Susan Sontag said of cancer: "the reputation of the disease adds to the suffering of those who have it."

This is true of the disease of food addiction also. People who wear their addiction on their bodies are discriminated against in our society and are maligned covertly and overtly. Fatnlazy and fatnugly are singular words reflecting the attitudes: "just stop eating, fat people are just lazy, put the fork down, get away from the table." How many times I prayed to just stop. Now I am recovering one day at a time and pray daily for those still suffering from the disease. By praying for them, I am helping to rid myself of internalized self hatred and working on my character defects of arrogance and judgmentalism.

Step 7: Humbly asked God to remove our shortcomings.

No comments:

Post a Comment