Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Life On Life's Terms - part 2

"And acceptance is the answer to all my problems today. When I am disturbed it is because I find some person, place, thing, or situation--some fact of my life unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing, or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment. Nothing, absolutely nothing, happens in God's world by mistake. Until I could accept my alcoholism (food addiction), I could not stay sober (abstinent). Unless I accept life completely on life's terms, I cannot be happy. I need to concentrate not so much on what needs to be changed in the world as on what needs to be changed in me and my attitudes. BB p. 417 (italics mine)

God,
my children's addictions and mental health issues, my brother's terminal illness, my brother's estranged children, my inability to give and receive love and affection fearlessly, the speed and amount of my weight loss, my sister's conflict with her daughter, our need for couple support--all these things are exactly the way they are supposed to be at this moment. I accept this today, one day at a time, and I will focus on what needs to change in me and my attitudes. Thy will be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment