Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Whispers In My Ear

My "addict" has been whispering in my ear, softly and oh so reasonably. "You would feel less sad if you could lose weight faster." (that old remedy of mine) "You could skip some of the food from each meal, and no one would know, and you could lose weight faster." (defiant & just a teeny, tiny lie) "You will get more attention if you get to your goal weight and you will feel so much better." (external validation and pride as the means to sooth the ego) "You don't really need to eat so much food anyway." (the set-up in place for that first compulsive bite and the spiral that follows)

My recovering self, connected to my Higher Power, comes to the rescue. "Pray, read, write, talk to your sponsor, talk to your fellows, don't believe your addict lies. Your weight is none of your business, following your plan is your business. Those old solutions did not take away or soothe your sadness."
God, I am standing at the turning point right now. Give me your protection and care as I abandon myself to you and give up my old ways and my old ideas, just for today. Big Book

No comments:

Post a Comment